Sunday, January 18, 2009

Scary God

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Doesn't that scare the crap out of you? He says a word, and an entire universe comes into being? No wonder they decided to come up with something less frightening-- like random pointlessness. I am kind of freaked out by a god (a god!) that makes stuff like that. He isn't like the nice Jesus paintings in Sunday School, not very huggable, not very waiting-to-hold-my-hand-ish. Have you ever stood on a mountain and been amazed at the height of it--the massive rock, the endless view. That breath-taking mountain is a tiny pimple on a massive earth. And that earth is the smallest speck in a spinning galaxy, one of countless millions, all made by a Word from the Great One. And he knows my name? I am inclined to ask you not to give Him my number.

Isa 6:5
5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."

No comments: