Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Expectations

Time was when my life was drawn forward by the expectation of the next great thing: getting married, graduating college, moving to another state, starting a business, expecting a baby, going on a trip. But having had my last child several years ago and moving to a home that we never expect to leave, there is no longer anything on the horizon that is so happy. I know that my children will grow up and leave. Or that someone will die. In fact, in watching the times, the next likely event coming up will be the pouring out of God's wrath in a comet strike on earth. But I don't want to "go there" now. No sense in exposing myself as a nut case right off the bat.

So, how to live. Day by day, listening to the Father's heart, laying down my life to care for those that God puts in my circle.

I find myself wondering how other people live dangling over the abyss. When there is nothing but loss to anticipate, how do others live? Of course, I do have the eternal hope of Christ's return and the resurrection/trainsformation of the Saints. But there is a whole lot of death between here and there.

No comments: