Friday, November 2, 2007

Empty Feeling

I was talking with my 12 yo a couple nights ago, about life. She was complaining that the other girls at AWANA just sit and talk and don't work on their books and don't seem to care about God at all. So I asked her, "Is God YOUR center?" She squirmed uncomfortably. She feels guilty for not praying more, not reading her Bible more. And of course, we don't go to church. We are trying to train our kids to listen to the Holy Spirit, but dd says she doesn't hear him, doesn't know what we mean.

I really don't know what to say to that. If we were back in the Vineyard, they'd grab her and lay on hands so that she could be "baptised with the Holy Spirit." I don't know what to make of that any more. I find that among my friends, there is no real difference between those that are "spirit filled" and those that are not in terms of spiritual satisfaction, righteousness, power, etc. Everybody just seems to be bumping along blind, happy in greater or lesser degrees according to their personality and circumstances. It doesn't look much like the book of Acts, to me, in any church on the block.

I don't believe that God has taken spiritual gifts away. I do believe we have everything we need for life and godliness. If there is weakness in us, it must be from lack of faith in the finished work of Christ, not because we've tied God's hands.

It looks like a really anemic season in the life of the church.

No comments: