Monday, September 3, 2007

The Dirt Bride

My husband says I'm dirt. But I try not to take it personally, because he says the Bible says that we are all dust. I think there is probably some scriptural substance to that. But it sure runs counter to the popular view that we are the adored Bride of Christ (which, of course we are too...) So in the one view, we are small, insignificant, without worth or even life on our own. My husband's theory is that God made us dirt people as visual aids in a story he's telling the angels: "Look, this is the kind of God I am. I can take little dirt people, and give them life and make them eternal. I can lay down my glory and become one of them, share in their dirt life and death, and take up my glory again, actually making the dirt people eternal shining beings who reflect my glory." And he loves us, yes, because He is Love. He can't help himself from loving us, because he's love. But not in a gushy way, because he does, apparently, create some people for destruction. I don't really get that.

So this is the argument we have: are we dirt people, or are we the Darling of the Almighty? How close to the mark is the very modern idea of being Jesus' Girlfriend, the church? What is the personal impact of being the spotless (Dirt) Bride of Jesus?

So, I went to my handy dandy bible program and started to look at what we are promised in Christ, just a bit. I started out with "reward." I had the idea in my head that somewhere in there it said that we are Jesus' reward for going through the cross. Anyone remember the Russ Taff song "We are his medals?" I wanted to see if that was in the bible. I couldn't find it. Anybody out there know of scriptural basis for this idea?

While looking into that, I found Col 3:23-24: "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." That intrigued me. An inheritence. That rings a bell: the old covenant. The old deal was that if Israel followed the rules, God would be "their God" (be related to them) and give them a secure homeland. An inheritance. If "all God's promises are Yes and Amen in Christ Jesus," then, what promises might that be? Any random word he ever spoke to anyone? That's just silly. I don't buy that you can pluck an out of context quote from God and believe it or pray it into your life by force. No, the promises that are Yes and Amen in Christ are the hope of the eternal inheritance. We have received the spirit of Sonship, and been adopted. He is our God. And we will be given an incorruptible body to live in on a restored Earth, ruled by King Jesus Himself. But, I digress. I wanted to see if there is merit in the idea that God is just crazy about me. To what extent is my Christian hope to be intimate with the Most High God.

Did you ever stop to think how recent the emphasis on relationship with God is, as a Christian idea? I somehow doubt that the Apostle Paul ever "Asked Jesus into his heart." What scriptural foundation do we have for the concept of Christianity being relational at its core? I mean, I really like that idea. It makes sense to me. But was it part of the gospel preached by the disciples?

I am continuing to search the Bible on this topic. It would make me feel good to be something more important to God than a visual aid. I would like something more personal than comic book super strength in my resurrected life in the coming age. What does the Bible actually say?

No comments: