Thursday, September 13, 2007

Summing up John

This trip through the book of John has been exhilarating. I guess when I've read the gospels in the past, I've had all the other voices mixed in my head. I haven't *just* heard what the author was saying, but rather had my perception colored by what I know from sermons and reading. I lost the voice of the author in the cacophony.

But I intentionally read the account this time with my kids, who had never heard the whole story together like this, and I heard it with virgin ears. I got to know John, who so obviously bore great affection for Jesus and lived within his circle, yet worshipped Christ Jesus as God. I didn't realize how Jesus came across to John as always talking about his dependence on and submission to the Father. John saw Jesus as noble and self-contained (but that isn't quite the right word.)

I probably shouldn't have pointed out to my kids how Jesus broke the law. How will I ever get them to be good AWANA kids? ;-) Jesus did break the law, and he violated biblical principles. I hope the WWJD people never read John, or they'll be recommending providing alcohol to drunk people, sassing authorities, being intentionally offensive and obscure, flouting religious and social convention, disrupting church fundraising projects, and consorting with bad company. And they'll end up getting themselves killed when they could have just spoken more wisely and been free. The fact is, Jesus didn't live by the rules, he lived by the Spirit, and he never sinned once in spite of all the things that he did that we could not logically recommend. I do want my children to know how important it is to learn the voice of the Father and obey it. Jesus knew his Father's voice, and heeded it. That is what he did that we must do also, and one reason why he had to go away to send the Spirit.

No comments: