Sunday, September 2, 2007

Contrasting Covenants

I understand the Old Covenant to be this: Do what God says, and he will give you (Israel) land, prosperity and He will be your God. Fail to obey his statutes, and suffer separation and loss.

Time and again this deal is offered to them: be good, get stuff (material stuff.) Be bad, get spanked.

The Old Covenant has a measuring rod--the Law, and consequences of not meeting those standards. The Law is referred to by Christ as including even the Psalms. It is all of the teachings of the Old Testament: circumcision, the Ten Commandments, the sacrificial system, etc. The New Testament writers consisently write of it as an inviolable whole. If you break one part of it, you've shattered it all.

The energy of the Law is self-effort. YOU read the rules, YOU follow the rules, YOU get the treat. Good job, YOU.

The Law is perfect and holy, and in it is no mercy. If you put your hope in walking by these external codes, you must do it perfectly or die.

When Jesus came and taught under this Law (and his moral teachings were under law remember--the new covenant was ushered in not by his life, but by his death), he raised the stakes immeasurably. He clarified that not only being perfect on the outside was required, but also on the inside. It isn't enough to just not kill anyone, but you must not even have a murderous thought. It isn't enough to just act pure, but you can't lust in your heart of hearts. He wanted those listening to realize the hopeless situation they were in. They had no power to be perfect just as God himself is perfect. He was bringing them to a ripeness for the birth of a new thing.

The New Thing is the New Covenant. A new deal that God offered: Believe in my son, and receive eternal life. He did away with the old deal that we couldn't fulfill because of our flesh. No longer are we to be automously trying to fulfill a list of commands, making educated guesses about "What Jesus Would Do" in our place. Because of the death and resurrection of Christ, we've received the Holy Spirit, making it possible for each of us to walk as Jesus walked: connected to the heart of God, Alive like he was alive. Dimly now, and fully and brightly when he is revealed in his glory on that last day. But faith says "I have the spirit of God within me because of Christ, and I am not alone." It says this no matter what feelings or experiences may come. When thoughts flit, "I am abandoned" or "I must find my own way" we must take them captive to Christ: "No, I am adopted and will rule in Glory with my King," and "No, I leave off finding my own way and submit to the Father who loves me and fills me."

No comments: